Veolia Transportation Awarded Seven Year Extension in Seattle

Dec. 6, 2011
With this extension, Veolia continues its long-term partnership with King County Metro.

Veolia Transportation secured a seven year extension with King County Metro that will allow the company to operate paratransit service through 2018. Veolia began operating the King County Metro Accessible Service Program (ADA) contract in 1996. Starting as one of five providers with just 39 paratransit vehicles and 45 employees, the service has grown over the last 15 years. Veolia now operates 75 percent of the ADA service in King County, utilizing a fleet of 248 paratransit vehicles, and 388 management, drivers, and support staff. The remaining 25 percent of ADA service is operated by a local non-profit organization.

"We see this extension as a testament to the trust and confidence King County Metro has in Veolia and its team in Seattle," said Transit Division President and COO Ken Westbrook. "Their hard work, loyalty and dedication, and their commitment to provide safe, reliable and superior quality service to the residents of King County is apparent to our client and to us."

Regional Vice President Ron Bushman stated, "This contract is a true example of superb teamwork between our local team and the support teams throughout the company."

The contract extension was effective August 2011 and runs through July 31, 2018.