Metrolinx has launched a new fare payment option through its PRESTO card in Google Wallet.
PRESTO in Google Wallet offers customers new features, including:
- Fare convenience: Users pay their transit fare with a PRESTO card on their Android smartphone or Wear OS smartwatch
- Quicker access and Instant changes: Riders can use the PRESTO App to make changes instantly, including loading funds to their PRESTO in Google Wallet from anywhere.
- Fare discounts: When riders convert their physical PRESTO card to PRESTO in Google Wallet, their fare type goes with them. This includes fare discounts for youth, post-secondary students and seniors
- Multiple fare types: Riders can set multiple fare types if they qualify for more than one discount.
- Transaction history: Users will have access to three months of their transaction history in the PRESTO App
After converting to PRESTO in Google Wallet, riders' physical PRESTO cards will be cancelled and will no longer be available for use. This is a transit industry standard practice helping to simplify the customer journey and prevent fraud. This will also allow riders to recover their card if their smartphone or smartwatch is lost or stolen.
While riders can have multiple cards in their PRESTO accounts, each device is limited to one active PRESTO card in Google Wallet at a time. With Google Wallet, the PRESTO card cost is free as opposed to $4 for the physical card.
Earlier this year, Metrolinx expanded the option to tap credit and debit cards, including those cards on a smartphone and smartwatch, to pay the adult fare on all PRESTO participating transit agencies throughout the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area, including the Toronto Transit Commission.