City of Joplin Metro Area Public (MAPS)

MO: Sunshine Lamp Trolley Ribbon Cutting July 3

The city of Joplin invites the residents of Joplin to a ribbon cutting ceremony for the city’s new Sunshine Lamp Trolley on July 3, at 9:30 a.m. at the trolley stop located in front of the Joplin Public Library.

The original Sunshine Lamp Trolley which was placed into operation in July 2007 will be officially retiring from service. Since giving its ceremonial first ride along Main Street from the Joplin Public Library to the Newman Building, this trolley has traveled more than 198,000 miles and provided over 226,934 rides. This trolley became a fixture on the Blue Route and served as a public ambassador for our trolley service to hundreds of thousands of Joplin residents and out of town visitors driving along Range Line Road, 7th Street, MSSU, and Downtown Joplin.

The new Sunshine Lamp Trolley is a heavy duty model, an El Dorado EZ-Rider II, designed specifically for use on daily bus routes with modern transit enhancements such as a low floor, wheel chair entrance/exit ramps at both the front and rear doors, air-ride suspension system, and three wheel chair securement areas. Although it’s equipped with modern features needed for a busy transit system, the solid oak wooden benches, brass handrails with leather straps, expanded seating for thirty-six passengers, and iconic brass bell, it has all the classic charm that made the old trolley a community favorite.

The new trolley was funded through a Federal Transportation Administration grant which provided 80 percent of the $390,115 purchase price. The remaining 20 percent was funded through the Joplin Transportation Sales Tax.

 

Loading