Every year, the CTAA recognizes the remarkable work done by community transportation by honoring transportation systems and managers for their commitment to their community, novel approaches, innovative concepts and creative solutions.
Photo credit: Metro Bus
At an awards ceremony June 11, the Community Transportation Association of America (CTAA) named St. Cloud Metro Bus “2014 Urban Transportation System of the Year.” The ceremony was part of its annual conference, this year held in St. Paul. This is the first time a Minnesota system has received this honor.
“Metro Bus is honored to receive this national recognition,” said Ryan I. Daniel, Metro Bus Executive Director. “This accomplishment would not have been possible without the dedication of our staff. From bus drivers to mechanics and fuelers, dispatchers, travel trainers and administration — everyone plays a role in providing this award-winning service.”
“Our 2014 Urban Transportation System of the Year has a record of community service and responsiveness that few can match,” said award presenter and CTAA Board Member Dan Dirks. “Few urban operators have shown a greater commitment to passengers with disabilities and local senior citizens.”
The Urban Community Transportation System of the Year is awarded to systems that provide service in an urban area of more than 50,000 population.
It recognizes a community transportation system for:
- Innovative and creative services in the community
- Being responsive to its customers’ and community needs
- Actively coordinating and collaborating with other public and special services transportation
- Effectively helps the community accomplish their goals
- Creates partnerships with a wide-range of organizations, both public and private
- Providing accessible transportation service
- Building transportation alternatives that are intended to meet a wide range of the communities’ needs