GRTC Transit System announces it will open a temporary transfer plaza April 20, in downtown Richmond along 9th and Leigh Streets.
Pursuit of a permanent transfer center continues as GRTC works with project partners, the city of Richmond, and other downtown stakeholders to navigate the complexities of site selection for a permanent transportation hub. The logistics of Richmond’s hosting two upcoming major bicycle events, 2014 USA Cycling Collegiate Road National Championship and the 2015 UCI Road World Championship, have presented challenges for GRTC to:
- Maintain transit operations during the two bicycle events
- Continue to develop a permanent Transfer Center location
Though temporary in nature, characteristics of the Temporary Transfer Plaza include:
- Strong security and maintenance
- Rapid movement of riders in and out of an on-street transfer site
- Connection of most downtown routes at one location
- Size to accommodate large amounts of bus and pedestrian traffic.
GRTC’s Temporary Transfer Plaza will:
- Accommodate 90 buses per peak hour
- Serve approximately 5,000 to 8,000 riders per day
- Locate thirteen bus bays curbside along 9th and Leigh Streets, which will be painted on the street pavement surface
- Be enhanced with benches, trashcans, information kiosks, and bus shelters.