Club Ride Commuter Services, a free program sponsored by the Regional Transportation Commission of Southern Nevada (RTC) that promotes cleaner, greener modes of getting to work, experienced its most successful year yet in 2013 for recruiting new partners, reporting of round-trip clean commutes, and overall positive environmental impact.
“Club Ride is successfully changing the valley’s perception of alternative modes of transportation by making them more accessible and appealing to commuters,” said Tina Quigley, RTC general manager. “With greater participation, we are reducing traffic, improving our air quality and saving commuters money. It’s a win-win for everyone.”
In 2013, Club Ride added more than 20 new employer partners, including some of Southern Nevada’s leading employers, such as Cirque du Soleil, Mandarin Oriental, ITT Technical Institute, Nevada State College, and Costco stores throughout the valley.
In total, Club Ride works with over 250 employers in the Las Vegas Valley and has more than 5,600 new commuters in 2013.
The growing participation in Club Ride led to 967,844 clean commutes being recorded by program participants. These commutes removed more than 5.8 million vehicle miles from our valley roads – an amount equal to an astounding 236 trips around the Earth.
Some record-breaking statistics achieved by Club Ride and its participants in 2013:
- Commuters saved over $1.5 million
- CO2 emissions were reduced by 58.56 tons
- 5,978 gallons of gas were saved
- Greenhouse gases were reduced by 2,285 tons
In 2013, Club Ride also utilized new technologies to make recording commutes even easier for participants. In the beginning of the year, Club Ride began installing touch screen kiosks onsite at partner worksites. There are currently 42 installed at 36 different workplaces and these kiosks have increased reporting among employees by as much as 350 percent.
In August 2013, Club Ride introduced its smartphone app for iPhone and Android devices. More than 770 participants have downloaded the new Club Ride Rewards App since it launched.
At the end of the year, Club Ride honored the outstanding efforts of local employers that support commuter programs with the Club Ride Star Awards in four categories.
- Star Rookie– Recognized a new employer partner (18 months or less with the Club Ride program) that has quickly achieved success and demonstrated a strong or creative strategy for continued program growth. Recipient: Sands Expo Convention Center
- Marketing Star– Recognized an employer partner that went above and beyond to dedicate resources and market commute options and Club Ride to employees. Recipient: Aria Resort & Casino
- Star Transportation Coordinator– Recognized an individual Transportation Coordinator (TC) at an employer partner site for his/her dedication, creativity and resourcefulness in promoting Club Ride and assisting employees in finding carpool companions or transit options. Recipient: Cheri Dahl, Eastside Cannery
- Star Employer Partners – Recognized employer partners who demonstrated exceptional efforts that encouraged employees to use commute options and participate in Club Ride.
- Gaming sector – Recipient: Bellagio Resort and Casino
- Non-gaming sector – Recipient: International Academy of Design and Technology, IADT