The Regional Transportation Authority (RTA) Board of Directors has adopted the 2013 Regional Transit Strategic Plan, which will serve as the roadmap for planning and development for transit over the next five years.
The 2013 Plan was created in partnership with the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA), Metra and Pace. The RTA also solicited input from the general public, stakeholders and elected officials from the six-county region over a six months period.
The 2013 strategic plan addresses issues such as lack of capital funding and improving the overall customer service experience through a more modernized and integrated system. Some of the recommendations include solidifying long-term funding solutions to support state of good repair, developing solutions for the region’s existing needs, and growing revenue and managing costs. The RTA is required by law to update the region's Transit Strategic Plan every five years.
“The plan lays out recommendations to address the most important issues facing our region’s transit system,” said Joe Costello, RTA executive director. “It offers up real-world solutions to the challenges the region faces and consistently makes the riders’ safety and satisfaction its number one priority.”
Highlights of the plan’s key findings and strategies are:
Addresses transit’s significant capital backlog and insufficient capital funding
• Proactively seek stable, long-term funding solutions to support state of good repair
• Strategically invest in modern technology
Improve the customer experience through a modernized and integrated system
• Modernize the customer experience to facilitate seamless regional travel
Strike a balance between current demand and new market development
• Accommodate growing demand during peak use
• Increase ridership to better leverage capacity during off peak hours
Balance tight operating budgets
• Continue to manage costs and increase efficiencies
• Grow revenues
Reauthorization of the Federal Transportation Bill Set to Expire in 2014
• Proactively Seek Funding Solutions for Existing Needs