The T (Fort Worth Transportation Authority) has announced the 10 winners of its 2012 "Expressions That Move You" art contest, a yearlong art competition for K-12 students in the Fort Worth Independent School District’s (FWISD) Fort Worth After School Program. All 10 winners’ artwork will be displayed on the side of The T’s buses this summer (2012), transforming the buses into “moving canvases of art.”
Open to the public in previous years, 2012 marks the 2nd year that The T has partnered exclusively with Fort Worth Independent School District students who participate in the Fort Worth After School Program.
Nearly 80 entries were submitted for this year’s “Expressions That Move You” contest, which called for artwork depicting a theme on what The T, public transportation, the City of Fort Worth, and/or the environment means to them. All entries were judged on theme, artistic merit and creativity by a panel of esteemed local artists, gallery owners and museum curators. Ten winners were selected in three categories (K-5th grades, 6th-8th grades and 9th-12th grades), with one winner in each category awarded the special Grand Prize.
Prize winners received art supplies and were recognized with their families at The T’s board meeting on May 1 and at Fort Worth After School’s annual Showcase of Stars on May 16.
"We believe ‘Expressions That Move You’ is as much an opportunity for the students of the Fort Worth After School program as it is for us at The T,” said Richard Maxwell, The T’s assistant vice president of marketing. “By recognizing the talents of the up-and-coming community of tomorrow, The T is able to better understand what motivates them, and in turn, we are able to move them toward an interest in art as well as public transportation, their city, and the importance of protecting the environment.”
The 10 winners from this year’s contest include:
• Zachary Nunley, 5th Grade, Seminary Hills Park Elementary – Grand Prize Winner
• Nancy Montalvo, 4th Grade, Seminary Hills Park Elementary
• Jasmine Morales, 4th Grade, T.A. Sims Elementary
• Alondra Vidales, 5th Grade, Natha Howell Elementary
• Barrett Camille Rice, 8th Grade, W.C. Stripling Middle School – Grand Prize Winner
• Tapanga Ashton & Taniya Yarborough, 7th Grade, Monnig Middle School
• Faber Ceballos, 8th Grade, International Newcomer Academy
• Jocelyn Hernandez, 11th Grade, Dunbar High School – Grand Prize Winner
• Jennnifer Beltran, 9th Grade, International Newcomer Academy
• James Sang, 9th Grade, Polytechnic High School
For more information, visit www.ExpressionsThatMoveYou.org.