The 1.2-mile light rail extension opened for service on Sunday, March 25. With it, the borders of downtown Pittsburgh have effectively expanded, bringing a quick, convenient transit link to the flourishing North Shore – a connection that will be used by local residents, business people, tourists, students and many others.
Three new stations will open:
- Gateway – near Gateway Center in Downtown
- North Side Station – under West General Robinson Street Garage near PNC Park on the North Shore
- Allegheny Station – between Rivers Casino and Heinz Field on the North Shore
All T lines will serve all stations. During weekday peak periods, trains will arrive every 4 minutes. All rides between the North Shore and Downtown are FREE thanks to sponsorship agreements with the Pittsburgh Steelers, Rivers Casino, ALCO Parking and the Stadium Authority of the city of Pittsburgh. For complete service information, visit PortAuthority.org.
How Was it Funded?
The $517 million project was funded using capital funds specific to the North Shore Connector project. Funding was provided by:
- The Federal Transit Administration of the U.S. Department of Transportation (80 percent)
- The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (16.66 percent)
- Allegheny County (3.33 percent)
Art & Architecture
Gateway was designed by Light/Motion Collaborative, a joint venture between EDGE Studio and Pfaffmann & Associates, both of Pittsburgh; North Side Station by Cooper Carry, New York; and Allegheny Station by Burt Hill, Pittsburgh.
Gateway is home to several pieces of public art. In station, Pittsburgh Recollections, a ceramic mural by Romare Bearden. Outside station, an engraved map depicting Downtown Pittsburgh in 1795.