Several New Clean Diesel Autos to Be Introduced To U.S. Market
- Chrysler announced that it will be introducing a Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel in 2013 or 2014, and possibly other Jeep diesels later;
- General Motors announced that a diesel version of the Cadillac ATS would available in the United States in the near future;
- Audi announced that it would be selling an Audi A8 TDI diesel in the United States in 2013;
- It was also announced that a diesel powered Porsche Cayenne would be coming to the United States in 2012.
- A diesel version of the hot-selling Chevrolet Cruze will begin sales in the United States in 2013;
- Mazda will become the first Asian car manufacturer to sell diesel cars in the United States when it introduces its SKYACTIV-D 2.2-liter clean diesel engine here;
- The S350 BlueTEC marks the return of the diesel-powered Mercedes-Benz S-Class to the United States in 2012 after a 17-year absence;
- The Volkswagen Passat, which was recently named the Motor Trend 2012 Car of the Year, began production of the Passat diesel in its new Chattanooga, Tenn. plant in the summer of 2011.
“While most auto makers have clean diesel autos on the market in Europe, Asia and Australia, there are growing indications that even more diesels are on their way to the U.S. market,” Schaeffer said.