The T (Fort Worth Transportation Authority) has announced the 10 winners of its "Expressions That Move You" art contest, a year-long art competition for K-12 students in the Fort Worth Independent School District (FWISD). All 10 winners' artwork will be displayed on the side of The T's buses this summer (2011).
More than 75 entries were submitted for this year's "Expressions That Move You" contest, which called for artwork depicting a theme on what The T, public transportation, the City of Fort Worth, and/or the environment means to them. All entries were judged on theme, artistic merit and creativity by a panel of esteemed local artists, gallery owners and museum curators. Open to the public in previous years, 2011 is the first year The T has partnered exclusively with the FWISD for the contest.
"We believe 'Expressions That Move You' is as much an opportunity for the students of the 'Fort Worth After School' program as it is for us at The T," said Richard Maxwell, The T's assistant vice president of marketing. "By recognizing the talents of the up-and-coming community of tomorrow, we are able to better understand what motivates them, and in turn, we are able to move them."
The top 10 winners from this year's contest include:
- Eudora Allen, Eastern Hills Elementary
- Jessica Gomez, Eastern Hills Elementary
- Manuel Luevano, M.H. Moore Elementary
- Christian Gonzalez, T.A. Sims Elementary
- Alyssa Garcia, Meacham Middle School
- Deborah Kabika, International Newcomer Academy
- Cora Hasselhoff and Gage Anderson, Wedgwood 6th Grade
- Saif Khudhair, International Newcomer Academy
- Yasmin Torres, Paschal High School
- Briana K. Adams, Paschal High School
For more information, visit www.expressionsthatmoveyou.org.