The number of people riding HART in December outdid last year's record by 7 percent, with 1,204,729 riders compared to 1,126,360 riders in December 2012.
The increase continues to be visible in our daily ridership December 3 saw the greatest daily ridership throughout the month with 56,659 riders choosing HART.
The year 2013 was a critical year for HART with the introduction of MetroRapid, a sustained ridership increase and continued push as the regional trendsetting innovator offering transportation services to more than 14.6 million Hillsborough County residents. This total represents the fourth straight year of setting another record for the authority.
- December 2013 ridership marked 78,369 more trips than the same month last year.
- Nine weekdays in December exceeded 50,000 daily riders.
- MetroRapid ridership in December was 45,769.
- Year-to-date (October 2013 - December 2013), bus ridership is up 2.4 percent; an increase of 89,239 trips, compared to the same period last year.
- Monthly bus ridership has been on the rise for 8 consecutive months.
"When more people use public transportation, everybody benefits," said HART Chief Executive Officer Philip Hale. "Increased ridership and greater demand is wonderful news and affirms our value to the community."
In addition, Almost 230,000 trips from University of South Florida students, faculty and staff have been taken on HART services since July. In December the use of the HART U-Pass service for USF students, faculty and staff increased 23 percent compared to last year. The U-Pass program is a partnership with the university that allows students to ride any HART local bus for free with a valid student ID; faculty and staff ride for 25¢.