6. Minnesota — Highway 169/I-494 Interchange Reconstruction Project: Minnesota Department of Transportation cut down on congestion to keep the economy growing in the Minneapolis/St. Paul region by reconstructing the Highway 169/I-494 interchange. The $128 million project came in significantly under budget and improved safety for all drivers.
7. Missouri — Safe and Sound Bridge Replacement Program: Safety was greatly improved statewide for drivers through the Missouri Department of Transportation’s Safe and Sound Bridge Replacement Program, which improved more than 800 bridges across the state. The $685 million project was completed 14 months ahead of schedule, which cut down on detour time for drivers.
8. North Carolina — Triangle Expressway Project: North Carolina Department of Transportation’s $1 billion all-electronic tolling technology on the Triangle Expressway marked the first time the method had been used in the state, saving drivers from sitting in congestion at toll plazas. Within six weeks of opening the customer service center, transponder sales surpassed six month sales targets.
9. Rhode Island — Wickford Junction Station & Garage Project: Rhode Island Department of Transportation increased mobility for citizens of Kingstown with the creation of a $24.9 million multi-modal transportation hub, including a new siding track, a parking garage, drop-off/pick-up area for cars and buses, bike parking, and car charging stations. The project was completed under budget.
10. Utah — I-15 Corridor Expansion Project: This $1.725 billion project by Utah Department of Transportation to relieve congestion for those traveling to and from Salt Lake City used innovative scheduling and planning techniques to complete the highway expansion project two years ahead of schedule while saving taxpayers $260 million.