The Women’s Transportation Seminar (WTS) San Francisco Bay Area Chapter selected BART as the Bay Area’s 2013 “Employer of the Year.” The WTS bestowed the honor to BART at its annual meeting on May 23 in San Francisco.
“We are honored to receive this recognition,” said Deputy General Manager Marcia deVaughn, who accepted the award. “We encourage our employees to excel and we strive to support them in their efforts to keep BART safe, efficient and a leader in the transportation industry. We believe all of our employees play a key role to the success of BART.”
The Employer of the Year Award recognizes a business for its support of the goals and purpose of WTS. To receive this honor, an organization must:
• enhance the transportation industry through its commitment to excellence and quality in the services it provides or products it produces;
• possess an outstanding record of affirmative action in hiring and promoting at all employment levels;
• support continuing education of its employees through professional education, professional organizations, professional development opportunities;
• encourage women students to enter the transportation field by providing internship opportunities; and
• has a history of supporting WTS.
“WTS honors BART as Employer of the Year to recognize its role as a leader in the transportation industry," WTS San Francisco Awards Chair Megan Wessel, said. "BART is pre-eminent for protecting the environment in the Bay Area. As an employer, BART has a four decade commitment for hiring a diverse workforce, providing opportunities to youth and those entering the workforce—all while supporting continued education programs and professional training for existing employees."
Past winners of WTS’ Employer of the Year include HDR Engineering (2012), Port of Oakland (2011), HNTB (2010), SamTrans (2009), SFCTA (2008), San Francisco Bay Area Water Transit Authority (2007) and Fehr & Peers (2006).