VIA Metropolitan Transit has broken ground on the stations for VIA Prímo, the agency's signature bus rapid transit line for the Fredericksburg Road corridor.
The first of these stations will be built on Medical Drive at the University Hospital. There will be a total of eight stations along the corridor, and construction on the other seven will continue throughout 2012.
The stations will be built with a unique look to identify them as part of the VIA Prímo system. They will have platforms to allow for easier boarding on the bus rapid transit vehicles, and they will have real-time bus arrival displays to let riders know when the next vehicle will arrive. These stations will be used exclusively for VIA Prímo.
Construction on the VIA Primo stations is underway, and the facilities will be ready for service once the line begins operations at the end of 2012. Current riders and future riders can expect to see work being at the following locations:
- Medical Drive at University Hospital
- Medical Drive at Ewing Halsell Drive
- Fredericksburg Road at Callaghan Road
- Fredericksburg Road at Crossroads Boulevard
- Fredericksburg Road at De Chantle Road
- Fredericksburg Road at Babcock Road
- Fredericksburg Road at Mary Louise Drive
- Fredericksburg Road at Huisache Avenue