The San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA), which manages transportation in the city, including the Municipal Railway (Muni), today announced the continuation of track improvement work on the Muni Metro system. From 4:30 a.m., Sunday, Feb. 12 to 4:30 a.m., Monday, Feb. 13, the SFMTA will install a new track switch on the L Taraval Line between 35th and 36th avenues. The actual track work will take place from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., Sunday. The construction will require a partial lane closure on eastbound Taraval Street, the removal of a few parking spaces in the construction zone and nearby and the use of bus shuttles between 22nd and 23rd avenues and the Zoo Loop. Some parking restrictions will begin at 7 a.m., Friday. The other side of this track switch was replaced on Jan. 15.
"This rail maintenance work is another example of our efforts to maintain a state of good repair as we accommodate nearly 700,000 boardings a day," said Edward D. Reiskin, director of Transportation. "We thank our customers and the community for their patience while we invest in Muni's future."
The Switch Replacement Project is part of regular rail maintenance by Muni's Maintenance of Way personnel. It will ensure a safer, more reliable transportation network by replacing worn infrastructure and keeping Muni in a state of good repair. This project is part of an upgrade of the existing track work along the L Taraval as well as the N Judah and J Church lines. There will be a total of six switches needing replacement along the L Line over the course of several weekends.
Muni Service Impacts
- Muni bus shuttles will operate along the L Taraval Line between 22nd Avenue and the Zoo Loop from 4:30 a.m., Sunday to 4:30 a.m., Monday
- The bus shuttles will use the L Owl stops for full accessibility.
- The last westbound train stop will be at 23rd Avenue. Customers continuing westbound will need to transfer to a bus shuttle.
- The bus shuttles from the end of the line will pick up customers on Wawona Street between 46th and 47th avenues. Customers continuing eastbound will need to transfer to a train at 22nd Avenue.
- Signs will be in place to direct customers to the L Owl bus stops.
- Eastbound Taraval Street between 35th and 36th avenues will be reduced to one lane, beginning with the construction at 8 a.m., Sunday and continuing through Wednesday, Feb. 15 when the roadway paving will be completed.
- Parking restrictions on 36th Avenue just north of Taraval Street will be required for staging materials from 7 a.m., Friday until 8 p.m., Tuesday.
- Parking restrictions inside the construction zone will be enforced from 7 a.m., Sunday to 7 p.m., Tuesday.
- Local access will be granted and all local businesses will remain open.