June 30--Earlier buses and weekend service were some of the suggestions for transportation improvements put forth by the public as the county transportation authority took input to generate a five-year plan.
TransIT Services solicited suggestions for improvements Thursday, which will be used to create its Transportation Development Plan.
"It's a study looking at a five-year perspective of transit in the region," said Joel Eisenfeld, senior transportation planner for the KFH group, which will be conducting the study.
The meeting was sparsely attended, but those who were there had big ideas.
Vickie Tipling, a Frederick woman who said she used to sit on the transportation committee, suggested creating a trolley system that would appeal to both tourists and local residents.
The trolley would run in a loop in downtown Frederick, and conductors would point out important historical or cultural sites.
"We have kind of a unique opportunity in Frederick," she said.
Tipling also supported the idea of service on Sundays.
"That's probably one of the biggest recommendations we get," said Holly Chase, of KFH.
Derric Atzrott, a Frederick man who rides the bus to work in Thurmont, said he would like to see the bus to Thurmont leave more than twice a day.
The study will cost about $70,000. Of that total, the federal government will pay 80 percent, and the other 20 percent will be split between the state and the county.
An independent study of transportation needs is a requirement to secure funding for capital projects, Eisenfeld said.
The study is expected to be complete in late fall, after which it will be presented to the county commissioners or council for approval.
Residents can also offer input by visiting www.surveymonkey.com/s/FrederickTransIT or submitting comments to FrederickCountyTDP@sharpandco.com by today.
The second phase of a TransIT Services fare increase will go into effect Tuesday.
Connector and shuttle routes' one-way cash fare will increase by 25 cents to $1.50.
One-way cash fare for seniors and people with disabilities (with ID) will increase from 60 cents to 75 cents. Discount ticket and pass prices will also increase.
Other increases are detailed at frederickcountymd.gov/transit.
Follow Kelsi Loos on Twitter: @KelsiFNP.
Copyright 2014 - The Frederick News-Post, Md.