In his 35 years in the rail industry, Busler has worked as a conductor and is now an engineer for Amtrak. Busler said he has seen more than 15 fatal incidents, many of which were suicides.
On a recent clear and sunny afternoon, Busler sat in a Pacific Surfliner as a passenger and took the train from his home in Los Angeles to Ventura. It's a trip the 57-year-old used to make every day as part of his route, which changes from time to time.
As he sat in the cab car, Busler pointed outside the window. As the train started to pick up speed through Oxnard, Busler noticed a young boy probably 10 to 12 years old on his bike watching the train speed by.
"Technically, what he is doing is trespassing, and that's what you see a lot of times in this area and especially in California," Busler said of the young boy. "You always have to comply with the rules and have your eyes out there. Even though you train for it and retrain to become really good at dealing with it, you are always under a lot of pressure."
Busler said some of his colleagues have decided to stop working on train routes in Southern California because of the amount of trespassers they see daily.
According to a report compiled by the American Association of Suicidology, about 77 percent of train suicides involved freight trains, and the other 23 percent involved passenger trains.
To keep his mind on the tracks, Busler said, he tries not to dwell on the amount of deaths he has seen. But he still remembers his first incident while operating an Amtrak train from Del Mar to Miramonte. The passenger train was traveling at 90 mph when a man suddenly jumped in front and laid down on the tracks.
Decades later, Busler still cannot forget the mixed look of terror and void in the man's eyes.
After his sixth fatal incident, Busler said, he decided to no longer get out of the train unless he is needed to help inspect the tracks or train. He rarely searches later for information on the victim, because it just became "too hard to shake off."
Busler said the best advice he received as a student engineer was from a supervisor, who said that as long as all rules and safety precautions were followed "to what was humanly possible," there must be some acceptance that unfortunate incidents do occur while operating such a powerful machine.
"I try not to dwell on them, but it does become a part of the video of your life that you sometimes can't shake," Busler said. "This is also what makes us so vigilant about our rules and applications. You kind of have to let it go as best as you can, but you do wonder: Who was this guy? ... Why was he there? It's what I don't know that bothers me."
Although there is no identifiable pattern to when train suicides most occur, there are statewide and national programs geared toward prevention and education.
The Rail Suicide Prevention Project, funded by the U.S. Department of Transportation, was established to identify hot spots and develop countermeasures.
In California, September has been designated as Rail Safety Month. Officials from Amtrak, Metrolink, Union Pacific and the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen partner with local police agencies to enforce crossing laws and educate the public on safety around trains and tracks.
Yet there are no guarantees, said Metrolink's Lustgarten.
"When the train is approaching, it could be a bit of an illusion and could appear not to be coming as fast as it really is," Lustgarten said. "If someone is determined to take their own life or think they can beat a train as it's approaching, there really is not much you can do to prevent that person from taking that action."
For a train veteran like Busler, the goal is not only to get all passengers safely to their destinations, but also to support fellow engineers and conductors.
"Some people go their whole career without anything like that happening. For some, it happens with some frequency," Busler said. "The railroad is a family and we all bond together under those tragic circumstances."