Project Manager, Alexandria VA
$81,376 - $125,000
Open Until Filled
Virginia Railway Express
The Virginia Railway Express, a rapidly growing commuter rail operation connecting Washington, DC with Northern Virginia and surrounding counties, is in need of an experienced Project Manager to direct railroad design and construction projects from start to finish. This position will function as the owner’s representative overseeing contractors performing various infrastructure improvements to main line tracks, signals, passenger stations, yards, and other supporting facilities. Work experience in a rail operating environment is highly desired. A Bachelor’s Degree in Civil engineering or related curriculum is required along with ten years of design and/or construction experience, at least two of which have been in a supervisory or project lead capacity. Applicant must also possess one of the following: PE license, certification as a Project Management Professional, or fifteen plus years of design and/or construction experience with at least five of which have been in a supervisory or project lead capacity. Great benefits. Projected salary range: $81,376 - $125,000, depending upon prior experience and education.
Senior technical position reports to the Chief Development Officer and provides engineering and construction management leadership on publicly funded projects. Assist in development and review of design and engineering documents pertaining to railroad, railroad facilities and station construction projects. Must be capable of functioning as project manager for multiple projects from planning through construction. Provides coordination of planning, design and construction activities.
Typical Scope of Duties:
- Functions as project manager responsible for scheduling, coordination, monitoring and executing various projects such as: service extensions, station modifications and expansions, rail improvements, parking facilities, and maintenance facilities.
- Monitor, direct and control activities performed by engineering consultants and construction contractors such as: planning studies, environmental assessments, design, and construction.
- Provide quality assurance on assigned projects.
- Develop scope of services for contractors and consultants.
- Review and approve design drawings and specifications on construction projects and studies.
- Perform feasibility studies and condition assessments.
- Provide overall project control for projects ranging in value from $2-$50 million.
- Adhere to budget, scope and schedule on multiple projects.
- Familiarity with railroad/transit projects
- Ability to guide, direct and manage work performed by engineering consultants.
- Ability to guide, direct and manage work performed by construction contractors.
- Good organizational skills and ability to work independently and lead the project team.
- Ability to conduct design review of drawings and specifications and perform analysis of project cost estimates and schedules.
- Ability to perform engineering analysis, design, minor drafting, and technical report writing.
- Familiarity with FRA, AREMA, and DOT standards and applicable building codes preferred.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or related curriculum. Advanced degree preferred.
- PE license required.
- 5-15 years of design, construction management experience in transit/transportation projects required; rail experience preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years experience as a project manager on related projects.
- Ability to utilize computer aided design and project software a plus.
- Experience in developing project scope and requests for proposals/bids.
- Must possess experience in cost estimating, project budgeting and schedule control.
- Must be professional, organized and have good verbal and written communications skills.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Background checks are performed on all new employees. Job description accessible on our website: www.vre.org. No inquiring phone calls will be accepted in response to this ad. Position will remain open until filled.
Qualified candidates interested in applying should submit by e-mail or mail a professional styled cover letter, resume, salary history and three confidential references (including their address, phone & e-mail) to:
1500 King St. Suite 202
Alexandria, VA 22314
The statements in this job description are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbent(s) assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
When applying, mention you saw this opening listed on the Careers Page at MassTransitMag.com