Senior IT Project Manager, Research & Technology Program - Term Limited, Seattle WA
$87,788.00 - $109,735.00 Annually
Open Until Filled
SENIOR IT PROJECT MANAGER, RESEARCH & TECHNOLOGY PROGRAM - TERM LIMITED
SALARY: $87,788.00 - $109,735.00 Annually
OPENING DATE: 06/12/14
CLOSING DATE: 06/29/14, 5:00 PM
Under general direction, directs, plans, designs, and implements Agency technology projects within the Research and Technology Program; manages the quality, scope, schedule, and budget of the Regional Data Service project and other projects as assigned; supports the promotion of the division framework within the department and Agency. This is a Term-Limited position for approximately 24 to 30 months.
The following duties ARE NOT intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification, only a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
- Plans, designs, and oversees implementation of parallel Information Technology Projects based on new and updated Sound Transit computer systems, applications, infrastructure, networks, client/server topologies, hardware, custom software implementations, “off the shelf” software solutions, databases, middleware, and internet/intranet sites; delivers IT projects within the constraints of scope, schedule, quality, and budget using known project management techniques, such as, IT project request forms, vision/scope documents, charters, project plans, business requirements documents, functional specifications, technical specifications, test plans, deployment plans and schedules, status/kickoff meetings, and operation support guides; tracks and prioritizes tasks for teams; ensures all project health/status metrics and performance indicators are accurate and communicated effectively.
- Communicates projects information and manages relationships with cross functional Sound Transit departments, external agencies, outside vendors, including the creation of vendor requests for information, requests for quotes, and requests for proposals; interacts with the Sound Transit contracts organization and compliance personnel in order to verify legal procurement; builds project teams based on project requirements; tracks project deadlines, time, tasks, completions, milestones, and allocation of resources that include developers, testers, business analysts, database administrators, sponsors, stakeholders, project leads, help desk, network/hardware operations, IT architects, production support specialists, and outside vendors/contractors.
- Develops and maintains reports concerning operations and programs; prepares reports and briefings on project status, progress, changes, and related items related to scope, schedule, and budget; analyzes, tracks and reports on trends in project development, schedule, and budget in conjunction with the division; Develops and manages project schedules, identify risks and clearly communicate them to project stakeholders, define problem solving and risk mitigation strategies, and facilitate conflict resolution through the full project cycle.
- Leads the coaching and mentoring initiatives needed for the team to achieve expectations and deliverables. Team members include subject matter experts from divergent groups operating in a matrix that need guidance and mentorship to deliver work products and deliverables.
- Actively leads risk mitigation and management. Leads problem resolution as issues arise.
- Confidently makes presentations to large and executive audiences to include reports and other information that facilitates decision making.
- Developing, teaching and training of project management techniques and methodologies to junior PM’s, or non-project management personnel
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, information technology, business management, information systems, project management or closely related field and eight (8) years of experience in information technology project delivery or project management; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Preferred: Master’s Degree in the above fields.
Preferred: Certification in Agile or Scrum
Required Licenses or Certifications:
- The Senior IT Project Manager position requires Project Management Professional Certification or a Project Scheduling Professional Certification.
Required Knowledge of:
- Project Management principles and operational management processes of complex technology programs.
- Creation and support of standards, processes and procedures which are instituted as best practices.
- Current and external technologies used by Sound Transit.
- Principles and applications of critical thinking and analysis.
- Principles of supervising projects, Identifying and managing resource requirements to meet schedules and objectives.
- Pertinent federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations.
- Advanced principles, practices, methods and techniques used in the installation, troubleshooting and maintenance of systems and applications, and of software development lifecycle.
- Procurement, inventory and asset management of IT services and equipment.
- Principles of business letter writing and basic report preparation.
- Ability to influence and develop productive working relationships with resources and dependent teams.
- Basic principles and practices of governmental budget preparation and administration.
Required Skill in:
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with cross functional teams, vendors, outside agencies, community groups and the general public. Working cooperatively with other all departments, Agency officials, and outside agencies.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written). Responding to inquiries and in effective oral and written communication.
- Analyzing problems, identifying alternative solutions, projecting conse¬quences of proposed actions and implementing recommendations in support of goals.
- Interpreting and administering policies and procedures sufficient to administer, discuss, resolve, and explain them to staff and other constituencies.
- Researching, analyzing and evaluating new service delivery methods.
- Translates project/program requirements into project objectives and tasks, managing task assignment to project resources and reporting on and managing project scope throughout the lifecycle.
- Strong background in IT infrastructure, technology deployment or computer science.
- Delivering business results on corporate initiatives.
- Driving, tracking and reporting the progress of multiple projects; developing and monitoring project operating budgets, costs, and schedules.
- Analyzing procedures and data to develop logical solutions to complex systems problems.
- Managing large, complex projects and making decisions in fast-paced environments.
- Preparing and analyzing complex data and comprehensive reports.
- Advanced techniques in Critical Path Scheduling, analyzing and building of enterprise level metrics.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Work is performed in a standard office environment.
- Subject to standing, walking, bending, reaching, stooping, and lifting of objects up to 25 pounds.
The Agency promotes a safe and healthy work environment and provides appropriate safety and equipment training for all personnel as required.
It is the responsibility of all employees to follow the Agency safety rules, regulations, and procedures pertaining to their assigned duties and responsibilities, which could include systems, operations, and/or other employees.
Apply online: http://www.soundtransit.org/About-Sound-Transit/Jobs.xml
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value workplace diversity. We seek to create an environment and culture that embraces the differences of our employees. You will find an exceptionally diverse group of people at Sound Transit with regard to culture, beliefs, communication styles, and life and work experiences.
All qualified applicants are considered in accordance with applicable laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of race, religion, color, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, marital status or veteran status or any another legally protected status.
When applying, mention you saw this opening listed on the Careers Page at MassTransitMag.com