Senior IT Systems Analyst, Transit Data - Term Limited, Seattle WA
Open Until Filled
SENIOR IT SYSTEMS ANALYST, TRANSIT DATA - TERM LIMITED
OPENING DATE: 05/22/14
CLOSING DATE: Open until Filled.
Under general direction, maintains, administers, monitors, and supports a major transit data management system(s) and highly complex/specialized computer applications for the Agency; Acts as the product owner, technical lead, and facilitator for the Regional Data Services (RDS) data management system that provides transit data services to the public. Facilitates and maintains relationships with partner transit agencies to source regional transit data, and with developer communities to utilize the data within RDS. Serves as a community manager for the transit application software development community; helps develop the vision for the solution, facilitates and leads the delivery of RDS services. Provides analysis, specification, design, troubleshooting, testing, documentation, operations, and service of system applications and infrastructure; provides business analysis to internal and external customers to assist them with use of transit data technology; develops and updates documentation for technical manuals, technical systems architecture, system specifications, test scripts, and training manuals; provides coordination between other IT teams and division; and develops standards and methodologies for transit data management.
Note: This is a Term-Limited position for approximately 30 months.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following duties ARE NOT intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification, only a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
• Serves as Lead on various projects/assignments; leads, coordinates, and provides direction and guidance for lower level staff and to processes/functions.
• Manages key relationships with partner agencies and developer communities for transit data services including Regional Data Services (RDS); determines business needs and direction of partner agencies and the application development community. Serves as a liaison between the business and technology perspectives of any engagement
• Works with Solution Architect and development team to on a transit data services product roadmap aligned with the business need, technology trends, and agency capabilities.
• Manage the vendor relationships necessary to ensure the successful delivery and operations of the solution and drive the various administrative needs related to the system, such as budgets, procurements, renewals, license management, etc.
• Performs installations, troubleshooting, upgrades, testing, and maintenance of Enterprise and other major systems and applications in assigned area; provides operations and maintenance of system infrastructure, including hardware, networking, applications, software, applications, peripherals, and local and wide area networks; develops test data and scripts; develops and updates documentation for Technical Manuals, Technical System architecture, System Specifications, Test Scripts, and Training Manuals; applies knowledge and skills from technical publications, manuals and other documents to systems maintenance and operations.
• Analyzes, creates and executes test scripts and procedures for quality assurance (QA) of major applications and equipment.
• Troubleshoots, resolves, and responds to application issues and performs back-up duties as needed as the systems administrator; performs system security analysis and creates security policy for applications and data; performs system administrator duties for Agency systems as assigned, such as password recovery, trouble ticket origination, testing of issues and trouble reports, and closure.
• Monitors performance of systems and processors and troubleshoots issues and alarms; responds to alarms and issues as level 2 support and resolves or directs resolution of issues as required.
• Provides performance, device connection and status, and financial reports to various stakeholders within Sound Transit as needed/requested/required.
• Works with customers to provide requirements and process analysis, develop system design and system specifications; and provides customer service and support to diverse internal and external customers.
• Provides support to the division/department on matters as directed; serves as staff on a variety of committees; maintains awareness of new trends and developments in the fields related to area of assignment; ensures processes, policies and practices are interpreted and applied consistently and effectively; ensures accountability and compliance with all current and applicable state and federal laws, Agency policies and procedures, rules and regulations.
Education and Experience:
Bachelors Degree in information technology, computer science, business administration, or closely related field and five years of information technology experience that includes three years administering enterprise level, networked server business applications; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Licenses or Certifications:
Required Knowledge of:
• Principles and practices of computer science and information systems.
• Operational characteristics of a variety of complex computer and network systems, applications, hardware, software and peripheral equipment, including Enterprise wide system applications dealing with transit data.
• Operations, services and activities of information systems programs.
• Advanced methods and techniques of systems programming, preparing system specifications, and preparing test data.
• Software Development life cycle and open data and open source software projects
• Basic understanding of web services, APIs,system integration techniques, network architecture, load balancing, multi-tiered architectures, and programming and data structures, HTML and web content management, RESTful web services, Structured and unstructured data, including CSV and JSON, basic use of relational databases and SQL, a programming language such as Java, C++, or C#
• Advanced principles, practices, methods and techniques used in the installation, troubleshooting and maintenance of systems and applications.
• Advanced methods and techniques of using system design and development tools.
• Pertinent federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations.
• Advanced project management techniques and principles.
• English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
• Principles of customer service.
• Supervisory/lead principles, methods and techniques over staff and functions.
Required Skill in:
• Utilizing personal computer software programs affecting assigned work and in compiling and preparing spreadsheets and reports.
• Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with other department staff, management, vendors, outside agencies, developer communities, community groups and the general public.
• Influencing and facilitating work in a matrixed work environment
• Interpreting and administering policies and procedures sufficient to administer, discuss, resolve, and explain them to staff and other constituencies.
• Administering and maintaining large, highly complex or specialized computer systems and applications.
• Detecting, isolating and resolving system and application problems using logical and methodical processes.
• Reading, interpreting and applying technical publications, manuals and other documents.
• Installing, troubleshooting, upgrading, testing and supporting systems programs and applications.
• Providing technical support to highly complex systems design and development projects.
• Methods and techniques of complex system design and analysis.
• Analyzing procedures and data to develop logical solutions to complex systems problems.
• Preparing clear and concise technical reports and documentation.
• Leading and delegating daily tasks, communicating, and providing feedback to lower level assigned staff.
• Demonstrating a positive customer service orientation with both internal and external clients.
• Responding to general inquiries and in effective oral and written communication.
• Working cooperatively with other departments, Agency officials, and outside agencies.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
• Work is performed in a standard office environment.
• Subject to standing, walking, bending, reaching, stooping, and lifting of objects up to 25 pounds.
The Agency promotes a safe and healthy work environment and provides appropriate safety and equipment training for all personnel as required.
It is the responsibility of all employees to follow the Agency safety rules, regulations, and procedures pertaining to their assigned duties and responsibilities, which could include systems, operations, and/or other employees.
Apply online: http://www.soundtransit.org/About-Sound-Transit/Jobs.xml
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value workplace diversity. We seek to create an environment and culture that embraces the differences of our employees. You will find an exceptionally diverse group of people at Sound Transit with regard to culture, beliefs, communication styles, and life and work experiences.
All qualified applicants are considered in accordance with applicable laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of race, religion, color, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, marital status or veteran status or any another legally protected status.
When applying, mention you saw this opening listed on the Careers Page at MassTransitMag.com