When I asked GCRTA’s Joe Calabrese what advice he could give other transit managers, he gave me a list:
- Quality is number one.
- Determine what your region needs.
- Talk with customers and employees.
- Minimize your time in the office.
- Don’t be afraid to change direction — go with your “gut” instincts.
- Keep everyone informed.
- Be one with your community.
- Understand that we do very important work.
- Never stop selling public transit.
“You got a mission. You keep your head down and keep the legs driving. But obviously develop some allies in the meantime,” Calabrese says.